Tuesday, 23 March 2010

The first obstacle...

Seeking financial support for your child from a non-co-operative father/mother, after a move abroad will not be a straightforward process. In order to start the ball rolling here in France, I have been told I need the following-
- A letter from the CSA confirming that Wolfy had knowledge of the previous agreement which was in place in the UK. In affect his agreement/co-operation to the previous child maintenance payments made.
- A schedule of the payments which he actually made.
This does not sound like a lot. Try asking the CSA to provide you with this. Throughout January and February this year, I have made numerous telephone calls and have come up against brick wall after brick wall. Yes I have a copy of the agreement which they originally drew up, but this is their standard letter and apparently they are unable to write any other letter. Basically 'computer says no!'. Infuriating!
I can understand why France want this, because from their point of view I could be saying that anyone is the father. What would happen in France is that it would go through the courts and the father would actually have to sign the maintenance payment agreement, which presumably both parents would have a copy of. In the UK this does not normally happen as the CSA would just deduct any monies owed from the non resident parent without any signature. France cannot begin to chase Wolfy until they have sufficient evidence.
I have consequently written to the CSA and still not received a reply. The CSAs answer to not helping is that, as we have moved abroad, my son no longer comes under UK jurisdiction, although he is still a British National. Despicable service. I plan to now write to UNICEF, the British Embassy, my local EU President, hell if you don't shout, you certainly don't get!

Monday, 1 March 2010

I am starting this blog in order to campaign for child support to be implemented across Europe in such a way that it is effective and efficient and that each child who lives with one parent can rightfully claim what is theirs – basic financial support from the other non-resident parent.

I have been living in France since summer 2009 with my now 16 month old little boy. I relocated here from London, in order to build a life whereby I can provide my Son a better quality of life than I could in the UK. I separated with his father 3 months before he was born whilst I was living in central London. We had a highly acrimonious separation and despite efforts, communication has by no means improved between us! For the purpose of this blog, my ex will be called Wolfy, of course this hides his identity but it also sums up a large part of his character and behaviour. For my ex did what one would call cry Wolf a lot, he of course lied a lot, to the point where even if he did tell the truth, neither my family or I would have believed him. In 2009 I had to use the CSA (Child support agency) in order to implement financial support correctly and to a timely manner. This seemed to work for a while until my Son and I relocated to France. I had previously been informed by an assistant at the CSA that a move abroad would not make any difference to my case and that they would still collect payments from Wolfy. So I was most unhappy and highly stressed, when I found this not to be the case! Of course Wolfy, who was always highly unreliable in every sense, must have had a party on hearing such news, he gets off without having to provide a cent for his one year old son for the next 17years!

You are welcome to follow my blog and please support me in this campaign for ensuring that this does not happen. Why should the father simply decide as and when that he does want to support his child any longer? Why can my Son not easily retrieve what should be his, basic financial support? Surely this is infringing upon his basic human rights?